Re: Using Color in GUI and Online Help

Subject: Re: Using Color in GUI and Online Help
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 10:17:55 -0800

Dan Wensel writes...

> We are developing software in a Windows environment and are at a roadblock
> with regard
> to certain field attributes. The windows we are creating follow Windows
> standards with regard to gray background, white boxes, black labels, etc.
> However, we want to distinguish mandatory fields and fields that have been
> edited on certain windows. We've investigated a number of ways to do this,
> but so far, we keep coming back to color as a solution.

[snip]

Just a few caveats about using color in online help...

First, the human brain can only assign meaning to six colors
at any one time. You have black text, white background, grey
banner, green hyperlinks, active window border and title bar,
and desktop already.

Second, users prefer to control their own environment (and
understandably so). How can you be sure to pick a text color
that will not become unreadable or invisible for the user
with a taste for bizzar color schemes (like hotdog stand).
Setting text colors in windows help almost demands that you
also control the background color.

Third, color is subjective, although there are some basic
cultural assumptions you can make. But be aware that what
looks totally awesome to you may be perfectly dreadful to
someone else.

Fourth, a full 13% of the male population is color perception
impared. Using color cues alone will leave a great many of
your users "in the dark" about your intentions, so if you
do use color, make it only one of two or more cues. Redundancy
is esential here for usability's sake.

I'm not saying not to use color. Just be careful!

Sue Gallagher
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com