Flickering screens

Subject: Flickering screens
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 15:31:25 LCL

my earlier post:
> The required "refresh rate" for monitors depends on something called
> "flicker fusion frequency", the minimum rate of flicker at which you
> are no longer able to detect gaps between periods of light and
> periods of dark (the flicker).
And asked <<Is this why computer screens always "flicker" on TV?>>

As far as I know, the problem is that the computer monitor and the TV
screen flicker at different frequencies, which exaggerates the problem
of flicker, so you end up with a strobe-like effect. (Sort of the same
reason why the spokes on wheels appear to run backward once they
rotate at a certain speed.)

--Geoff Hart #8^{)}