Re: Page numbering: multiple volumes

Subject: Re: Page numbering: multiple volumes
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 07:53:00 -0600

- A technical manual where volume I has chapters 1-7 and volume II has
chaps 8-15 and the page number for the first usable page in vol II is
either 8-1 or 722. This makes using an index or TOC virtually
impossible.
I have a few manual sets this way and I hate them every time I use them.

As long as it's clearly shown which book has what page range, I don't find it a
problem. If the index tells you it's on page 750, and doesn't give you a clue
that page 750 is in volume 3, that's plain bad indexing, and should be fixed.

Most muli-book indexes I've run into tell me what volume it's in (the early
Inside Mac indexes from Apple used II-475 to mean page 475 in volume II). I
don't mind that, as then I can pick up the right book.

If the book pages are numbered consecutively, then I can say "This book starts
at page 400, so page 750 is about here," and begin my search. But if the index
is a mulit-volume index and doesn't tell me which book to look in, then someone
fell asleep during the production process.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 24