Odd Pages

Subject: Odd Pages
From: Win Day <winday -at- CML -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 10:11:52 -0500

To: techwr-l -at- osuvm1 -dot- bitnet

BB> Because each chapter should begin on page one. One is an odd number.
BB> Therefore, all chapters should begin on an odd page (on the right
BB> side)!

BB> Unless you want to start chapters on page two or thirty-two or
BB> whatever it is you're proposing (which is ludicrous). This is so
BB> standard (for good reason) that it's really not even worth talking
BB> about!

Why is it ludicrous to start a chapter on a page other than 1? I just
convinced my client to move away from military-style page numbering
(2-6, 5-7) and _to_ continuous numbering throughout their manuals. That
means only Chapter 1 starts on page 1! Chapter 2 happens to start on
page 87 in the draft on my desk...

We do start chapters on *odd* pages, simply because we put tabbed
dividers between the chapters. And we use _VERY_ descriptive headers to
keep the readers aware of where they are in the manual. The header has
my client's logo in the top left corner. The top right corner has the
chapter name, over a horizontal line running from the logo to the right
margin, over the subsection name:

{LOGO} Getting Started
Files and Directories

The chapter name is in 18 pt Helvetica; the subsection name is in 14 pt
Times Roman italic, matching the heading level formatting in the body of
text underneath.

New subsections start on new pages, but not necessarily on odd pages. It
seems to work so far - the client really likes it. We haven't released a
manual yet (first one's due out mid-April, and others will follow about
every 4-6 months) so we don't have any customer feedback yet.

Win Day
winday -at- cml -dot- com
* RM 1.3 * Eval Day 5 * RoboMail -- Version 1.3 -- Available now!