From contract to full-tim

Subject: From contract to full-tim
From: Chris Hallgren <chris -dot- hallgren -at- CANREM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 13:06:00 -0500

to Joanna Sheldon

In my experience, figure the taxes you are likely to pay as a contractor and
deduct them from your expected annual income.

Then deduct 18% for medical benefits (if fully covered).

If long term disability is included, take off another $3-5,000

Figure out the hourly pay (remainder/52 weeks)/40 hours

Compare this figure to the hourly rate of the salary offered, or make this your
base offer, or counter offer if their offer is lower

Before you decide, find out if they cannot afford to pay your contractor rate
for a year. You may not have a choice.

I have recently decided to switch from contractor to permanent because larger
an more interesting work is possible, as well as continuity.

Good luck

Chris Hallgren