Word 6 to Word 5.1

Subject: Word 6 to Word 5.1
From: George Hayhoe <george -dot- hayhoe -at- SRS -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 09:28:00 -0400

and others:

It's been 18 months since I installed Word 6, but as I recall, you
must specify the import and export filters you want to install if you
do not elect the full install option (which consumes something like 30
MB of precious hard disk space). So you may not find the Word 5.1
filter available when you select File+Save As.

If not, there are other options that work pretty well. The Microsoft
RTF format is very dependable, though (as I recall) it doesn't support
the Word table format. Word Perfect is another I've had luck with.
Perhaps other users could suggest other alternatives.

The key (of course) is to pick a filter that is available in File+Save
As in Word 6.0 and in File+Open in Word 5.1.

Of course, if you're going to be exporting documents to Word 5.1 with
any frequency, you should probably install the needed filter by using
the Word Setup program.

--George Hayhoe (george -dot- hayhoe -at- srs -dot- gov)
Assistant to the President for Recognition Programs
Society for Technical Communication