Re: Why 60 Hz

Subject: Re: Why 60 Hz
From: Frank Stearns <franks -at- FSATOOLS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 20:02:57 -0800

> Mike Johnson sez,

[stuff deleted]

> This 60 Hz thing is a conspiracy. It's got to be related to Dilbert
> somehow.

Steve English replied:

> It's related to Mrs. Edison's little boy. It's a 60 Hz thing because the
> Alternating Current on which it runs is Alternating at that rate, courtesy of
> your regional electricity vendor.

Actually, if memory serves, it was that crazy Nick Telsa kid, who was
working for George Westinghouse and who was a fierce rival of Edison's
group in Menlo Park (the New Jersey version), who actually set the AC
standard. Edison, bull-headed as he was, had been pushing DC -- a bloody
dangerous (for the application) and awkward form of electrical juice.
After a number of fires and system burn-outs with DC, AC became the norm.

I can't remember all the reasons, but 60 Hz was arrived at after careful
deliberations based on the factors of the era. (Probably has to do with
synchronizing of a network of power stations.)

Frank

| Frank Stearns Associates | Developers of Tools for FrameMaker(r) |
| franks -at- fsatools -dot- com | Developers of Custom Software Tools |
| 360/892-3970 fx:360/253-1498 | Makers of IXgen, FM2A, & Hypergen |
Please note our new area codes! NOTE: Your local phone system may not
recognize an area code that does not have a "1" or "0" as the center
digit. You can use our old area code, 206, but be sure to alert your
telephone service provider that your equipment needs an upgrade.