Re: Reading comprehension tests

Subject: Re: Reading comprehension tests
From: Jan Boomsliter <boom -at- CADENCE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 10:06:23 -0800

I don't believe that those IBM "grades" were to be interpreted as
comparable to U.S. school grades.

Actually, I have no idea what they were supposed to mean. The idea of
quantifying and categorizing sounds like a declaration of poor
judgment and shirking responsibility.

jb
======================
On Wed, 15 Mar 1995, Jim Wylder wrote:

> Re the comment about sophmore engineers generally possess an 8th grade
> reading level vice 12th or more; it is my experiency as a 45 year old
> engineer that the thesis is correct. This is based solely
> on experience, not any testing or statistical basis.

My memory of this is hazy, but when I contracted for IBM about
6 or 7 years ago, they had analyzed the grade-level averages
for various classifications of audience. My memory tells me
that their studies showed about 10th grade level for computer
science engineers/developers and about 8th grade level for management
and clerical folks. Umm... does any body have this info at
their fingertips? I feel pretty sure that average reading levels
for most populations fall within the 8th to 10th grade level,
but I may be remember the specific audience info incorrectly.

Rosie (NorthCrowe)
ncrowe -at- primenet -dot- com
rwilc -at- fast -dot- dot -dot- state -dot- az -dot- us
******
People inadvertently in the wrong time stream need food, clothing,
shelter, job training, and socio-cultural re-training. Please
send check, money order, credit card number, or glyph to:
Victims of Temporal Displacement, PO Box 1995-TLDA42,
Circumvention, CA-AZ 85299 or VOTD -at- circumvention -dot- com
*****
DISCLAIMER: My opinion has very little to do with reality.