Re: Dilbert and Malapropisms

Subject: Re: Dilbert and Malapropisms
From: Audrey Choden <AChoden -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 1995 09:59:53 -0500

Several people responded privately to the question I posted:

>What is the following literary device called? "Bated Breath and Bare
>Bodkin."

The award for cohabitating with a literary device goes to Sue Stewart:

>The J-major sez, ALLITERATION -- of course, I *live* with it.

The award for the most majors in college goes to Virginia Krenn:

>... okay, I actually had a triple major and one of them was English >Well,
I majored in Math and Computer Science. But, if you are
>referring to the four words that begin with the same letter, it is
> called alliterative.

The award for the most incorrect memory goes to Ray Fernandez:

>If I remember correctly, this phrase has to do with the costumes >worn by
actors during Shakespeare's time (specifically a kind of >footwear). I think
Hamlet uses this phrase when giving directions to >the traveling actors.

(Are you referring to the "proud man's contumely?")

The Grand Prize goes to Arlen.P.Walker:

>The main mission of my mangled matriculation meant my mind >mainly meandered
in the meadow of math ....
>but I can still say "alliteration." ;{>}

(That's easy for you to say, Arlen.)

The award for self-delusion goes to Bill Burns:

>Are you asking about "alliteration"? I always avoid it. 8-)

The Groucho Marx award goes to Harvey Millman:

>I was unaware that it was any kind of literary device. But then,
>my major wasn't English. (He was a colonel, and he was >Slovenian, but
that's another story.)

Harvey also gets an award for the most literary response:

>...the picture it creates in the mind's eye (once you've translated it >into
current English) is someone waiting, holding their breath, with >an
unsheathed pointed weapon. Opening scene for "Murder, She >Wrote"?

Thanks to all who responded!

Audrey Choden
Training by Design
Prairie Village, KS
achoden -at- aol -dot- com
70471 -dot- 3700 -at- compuserve -dot- com