Consensus Meeting

Subject: Consensus Meeting
From: Kelly Burhenne <burhennk -at- SMTPGW -dot- LIEBERT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 13:51:38 EST

Text item: Text_1

> Another suggestion is to review all proposed changes during a
> consensus meeting where everyone signs off on the document at the
> end of the meeting. However, this requires all engineers to review
> areas of the document which may not be relevant or germane to their
> contribution to the project.

I have done this (except everything discussed was relevant to all
attending engineers). In theory, this is a great idea. In reality,
it's not very practical (unless you have a lot of hours to waste). It
took us a total of about 10 hours to make changes to about 15 pages
(ever try to reach a consensus with six engineers)!!!! Hardly worth
the effort (although *everyone* was happy with the resulting
document).

Disclaimer: It was my manager's bright idea, who is neither an
engineer nor a writer.

-Kelly Burhenne
burhennk -at- smtpgw -dot- liebert -dot- com
Columbus, OH