Paper recommendation for HP4 series

Subject: Paper recommendation for HP4 series
From: John Gough <John_Gough -at- CCMAIL -dot- BMC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 08:29:05 CST

We use a battery of HP LaserJet 4Ms in our department. To my knowledge
we've never had the (apparently famous) paper-curl problem. Was it limited
to the 4P model? Models with slower throughput would presumably expose the
paper to more heat (the 4M is 12ppm--it really flies!)

Our paper is Hammermill Tidal(R) DP (Long Grain). On the label it describes
itself as being "For Xerographic Copiers/Offset Duplicators/Laser Printers/
Plain Paper FAX"

I suspect other major manufacturers also make a similarly specialized grade
of paper. I would stick to it. I read an article somewhere that
established that the paper really was special, not just relabeled and
marked-up cheap stuff. Perhaps our resident forester has a comment on the
differentiation? I think the salient points were: finer fibers, a method
of reducing paper dust, and a smoother finish. There might have been
something in the chemistry that made the paper more receptive to toner
particles, but then again I might be making that up.

BTW, silicon packets in the printer itself won't work--they get saturated
very quickly. They need to be in a closed environment.

John Gough
BMC Software
Austin, TX
john_gough -at- bmc -dot- com