Re: Proper noun use... update

Subject: Re: Proper noun use... update
From: Karen Davis PSP team 03 505 <karene -at- ASIMOV -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 14:12:01 CST

Another possible problem springs to my mind, that of using a
trademarked name as anything besides an adjective. Is the actual
product name "Broadband Network Analyzer (tm) or is it Broadband (tm)
network analyzer? Is "network analyzer" a generic name for the
product? Are there other network analyzers? Is Broadband the
company name? If so, it is important to always use the name as
an adjective to prevent possible loss of trademark distinction.

For example, if you continue to use "Broadband Network Analyzer"
as a noun, and not as an adjective (the Broadband Network
Analyzer (tm) test software), you could be in danger of customers
refering to the product as a "Broadband". ("What kind of
Broadband does your company use?") On the other hand, if
Broadband is the trademark, it modifies network analyzer, and
does not cause this possible legal hassle. THEN, saying,
"Broadband (tm) Network Analyzer does amazing stuff." causes
no heartburn for a trademark counsel. Another real-life
example might be, "Microsoft Windows (tm) products are popular".
You never see, "The Microsoft Windows (tm) products are
popular".

Incidentally, using trademarks correctly in internationally
distributed literature is becoming more and more important.
Trademark laws are only worthwhile when the trademark owner
defends the mark.

Just another way to look at this issue,
Karen

>Previously I wrote:
> <snip>
> Our problem relates to the way we should refer to the product when we >
use its full name (the proper noun). The name is three words long.
> For example, do we say

<snip>