Re: File names in text

Subject: Re: File names in text
From: John McDermott <jjm -at- JKINTL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 11:27:13 PST

Mark writes,
>Personally, I CAPITALIZE all the letters in, for example: FILE.TXT, and
also,
>if feasible, I will also put the filename in bold type.

The problem with all caps is that on unix "FILE.TXT" has NO RELATIONSHIP to
"file.txt". Other systems are case sensitive, too. I prefer to use a
typeface change e.g. Courier bold or similar. In pure ascii docs I have
taken to using text like:

To delete the file 'foo.txt' type
rm foo.txt
to indicate rm foo.txt is the command. I mention this convention in the
introduction so users are not too confused.
--john
<stuff deleted>
Name: John McDermott
E-mail: jjm -at- jkintl -dot- com (John McDermott)
Voice: +1 505/377-6293 FAX: +1 505/377-6313