Re: Data, vice versa, et al

Subject: Re: Data, vice versa, et al
From: Bill Burns <WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 08:53:04 MDT

Dan Strychalski wrote:

>>Let us strive to make our writing comprehensible to eighth-graders -- and
acceptable to those eighth-graders' English teachers.

Precisely the point--some of these Latin terms may be common for YOU, but they
are not necessarily common for basic-level English speakers. Granted English
has quite a few loan words (about 80% of the vocabulary), but 20% percent of
the vocabulary derive from old English terms. These 20% make up the more common
words in our language. Chances are that most English speakers will be able to
understand them. If we all began to practice the "pocket-dictionary" method,
we wouldn't be helping our audience in the least. The word "heliotrope"
appears in the Merriam Webster pocket dictionary. Does that make the term
appropriate for use on a package of flower seeds?

If we send our audience to the dictionary TOO often, they won't bother using
our documents. If they only have to look up an occasional word, they probably
won't be put off. Obviously we can't eliminate all readability problems.
However, etymology can be an effective tool to reduce readability levels.
I know. I've used my understanding of linguistics to bring the production
training materials in my department from 17th to 8th-grade readability level.

Also, don't confuse readability levels with writing sophistication. Convoluted
sentences require better comprehension skills from readers than do sentences
with basic structures. Since convoluted sentences often indicate unclear or
imprecise thought (pretty common among eighth graders, I imagine), higher
readability levels might not indicate eloquence at all.

I teach college composition, and I can attest that very few of the students
I have could write for an eighth-grade audience. They haven't got the skills
for it.

BTW, have you opened a comic book lately? The language use in that genre
is becoming pretty sophisticated these days.

Bill Burns * These are MY opinions,
Assm. Technical Writer/Editor * MINE I TELL YOU!
Micron Technology, Inc. *
Boise, ID * (not that they amount to much. . .)
WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM *