[no subject]

From: Dan Xiong Ding <dxding -at- RS6000 -dot- CMP -dot- ILSTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 1995 01:03:53 -0600

Comments on Bill's and Sue's messages on Vice Versa:
I don't think some terms like vice versa will create a big trouble for
the ESL readers, based on my own experiences. If we assume that our ESL
readers are able to read our writings, then they are also able to know
some "foreign" terms like vice versa, i.e., etc., etc. Of course keeping
in mind our readers is important, but when we assume they can read
our manuals, we must also assume that they those terms. Otherwise, why
bother to write for our ESL readers? And we must also consider other other
problems, too. So, the question is not whether there is a corresponding
English term for vice versa or not, but it is whether the native language
of the ESL readers has a corresponding concept for vice versa. If it does
not, then even if we find a corresponding English term, the ESL readers
can still have a hard time reading our manuals. Because of this, I think
Bill has made a good suggestion. That is, we should use more sentences
to replace vice versa.

Dan Ding
English Department
Illinois State University
Normal, IL 61761
dxding -at- rs6000 -dot- cmp -dot- ilstu -dot- edu