Re: STYLE: Prefaces/Introduct...

Subject: Re: STYLE: Prefaces/Introduct...
From: Grace Joely Beatty <TALKLIST -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 1995 12:34:35 -0500

Bev Parks asks whether we agree that:

> most people *don't read* prefaces or introductions

I absolutely agree that most people don't read them. In fact, I believe that
many people don't read introductory text of any kind. Let me share a case in
point. In one of our books on spreadsheets, I discussed the symbols to be
used when writing formulas for addition, subtraction, multiplication, and
division in the introduction to the chapter on writing formulas. Our chapter
introductions are only a paragraph, BTW, and I (so cleverly, I thought)
assumed that readers would be willing to read a paragraph.

I included step-by-step directions (with screen captures) of writing
addition, subtraction, and multiplication formulas. I didn't include an
example of a division formula, assuming that readers would generalize from
the three examples I did provide.

Imagine my chagrin when MY OWN FATHER informed me that he didn't know how to
write a division formula. (If your own father doesn't read your brilliantly
written intro's, who can you count on to do it?) This experience reinforced
a valuable, if humbling, lesson. Research on adult learners shows that they
are extremely task oriented and don't like hunting for information. They want
it clearly and succinctly stated in relation to a specific task.

We still write one-paragraph introductions to each chapter, but I make sure I
repeat the information as it relates to a specific step. We've also cut our
4-page introduction to the book down to 3/4 of a page.

I have since redesigned our model to include an example of division.

I really enjoy the process of testing our manuscripts because I learn so much
about how people learn. Our "beta testers" as we call them always manage to
catch something that two authors, a technical editor, a copy editor, and a
project editor don't "see."

Joely Beatty

Please send personal responses to
EmpressGJB -at- aol -dot- com so they don't get lost in my mailing list mail.

March 25, 1995
9:05 am