Re: Term "tech writing"

Subject: Re: Term "tech writing"
From: Bev Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 1995 14:58:41 MST

> In a private post to me, someone suggested that perhaps
"author" held a bit more prestige than "writer." Here were
my comments on that:

Interesting. I've never considered the distinction before
between writer and author. So, of course I looked up both words
in my AHD. For writer, the definition was short and sweet: One
who writes, esp. as an occupation. Author, however, offered more
writes professionally. 2. An originator or creator.

In my own mind I think of an author as someone who is published,
and I think of a writer as someone who may or may not be
published; both write for a living. So in that respect--at least
in one person's way of thinking--author would tend to have a
more prestigious connotation.

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "These opinions are mine, not my employer's." =*=