Re: Uncooperative SMEs

Subject: Re: Uncooperative SMEs
From: Bev Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 1995 18:39:36 MST

Audrey Choden asks--
> How do you handle a SME who does these things?

Some of my suggestions have proven effective through experience.
Some are just off the top of my head, so if they seem
unrealistic or off-base...well, they're just ideas.

> --Announces at the beginning of the meeting that you'll have less time than
> you had scheduled.

Immediately schedule the next meeting before continuing. This
lets her know that you need the information, even if you are
forced to get it in chunks. The SME won't like this and may
realize it's better in the long run if she just takes the
time now (or in the follow-up meeting).

> --Ignores the material you brought for your discussion.

Prepare an agenda that lists the items you plan to discuss in
the order you want to discuss them. Provide the SME a copy of
this agenda a day or two before the meeting. Bring copies of the
agenda to the meeting (the SME will likely forget to bring his).
During the meeting, follow your agenda. If he strays from the
agenda, gently remind him of the time remaining and the agenda
items yet to be discussed.

> --Answers questions by inundating you with technical terms.

Be patient and ask for explanations for terms you don't
understand. Don't wait until she's thrown out a dozen
terms--interrupt her if necessary. Eventually, she'll get the
idea and start talking like a human being.

> --Informs you that there isn't a single resource where any of this
> information could be found.

Ask him where -his- knowledge of it came from. If he still insists
there are no resources, tell him that you know of one resource:
"YOU." (Referring to the SME.)

> --Names a long list of resources so quickly that you can't record them.

Say, "Hold on, I can't write that fast. One at a time, please."

> --Can't be reached by phone so you have to leave endless voice mail messages.

If the SME is within walking distance, go there.

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "These opinions are mine, not my employer's." =*=