re Style: Prefaces/Introductions

Subject: re Style: Prefaces/Introductions
From: James Lockard <NORTon5150 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 12:53:06 -0500

TWs,
I usually just lurk on this list but I feel compelled to add my two cents on
this issue. (I usually lurk only because I receive the digest version and
can't send email outside of the office at work.)
Susan Gallagher wrote--"One of the things that
we must try to accomplish is to accomodate as many different
learning styles as possible. Including front/introductory
matter does this."
This is what really matters. There are a number of different reading styles.
We must, as tech writers, address the needs of all different types of readers
whenever possible. Some of us scan a books pages for the information we need.
Others actually prefer to read a book from page one. We should include as
many tools as possible to help our readers find what they need. While it may
be true that many, or even most, readers don't read an introduction, we
should not ignore those that do. These elements are not a waste of time. Tech
writing is about addressing the needs of your audience.

FWIW,
James Lockard

norton5150 -at- aol -dot- com
or