Note from Kevin Montgomery on 4 Apr 1995 09:51:21 PST

Subject: Note from Kevin Montgomery on 4 Apr 1995 09:51:21 PST
From: "Larry Kunz ((919) 254-6395)" <ldkunz -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 17:35:09 EDT

Thanks, Kevin, for your salute to my all-time favorite technical
manual: John Muir's "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive - A Manual
of Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot." To quote Kevin,
it truly is "an example of using effective and appropriate humor to
convey technical information."

The illustrations are good too. They reinforce Muir's whimsical
writing style, and some are purely for decoration, but the "nuts
and bolts" drawings are both plentiful and easy to understand.

I think the book is still in print. Even though Muir died a long
time ago, his successors have kept producing updates. My own grease-
stained copy dates to about 1979, when I acquired a '64 Beetle and
when the price, written where the license plate goes in the cover
illustration, was about $6.95.

Larry Kunz
STC Assistant to the President for Professional Development
ldkunz -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com