Greatest Manuals

Subject: Greatest Manuals
From: Scott Goodhue <goodhue -at- SMTPGATE -dot- DISCLOSURE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 11:19:10 EST

In a message from Larry Kunz to Kevin Montgomery, John Muir's "How to
Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for
the Compleat Idiot" is praised as an all-time favorite technical
manual. Although the Title was mentioned in response to a previous
query about the proper seasoning of humor in technical manuals, it
reminded me of an interview question once asked of me -- "What do you
think is the best manual you've read?"

It threw me for a loop...After I raced through my memory for titles, I
believe I blurted out the "New York Times Guide to Home Repair." The
answer was met favorably enough, as I landed the job. I would like to
offer up the question for discussion, perhaps inspiring a compilation
of the "best of" manual titles...

To keep my mailbox less cluttered, I am subscribed in digest format,
so will have to respond to any messages directed to me in "unreal"
time.

Scott Goodhue
Disclosure, Inc.
sgoodhue -at- disclosure -dot- com