Contractions

Subject: Contractions
From: Tammy Sudol <tammy -at- M3ISYSTEMS -dot- QC -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 1995 09:07:24 -0400

Although I don't currently use contractions in my functional specs., release
notes, and ref./user manuals, I do enjoy using them in my course material.
I feel that their use brings the formality down one level and makes the
material a little more friendly to the user.

Incidently, I love writing course material, because I'm able to expand the
rules a little and insert a lot of fun graphics, comments, and so on. I'd
like to see this fun element extend to ref/user manuals; however, I'm more
cautious in these areas. Finally, I'd never insert contractions in very
technical information (f. specs. quality plans, design specs.).

I guess (in wrapping up) it really depends on the audience for which you are
writing.

Tammy Sudol
Technical Writer - MOSAIC Department
M3i Systems Inc.