TechWhirl (TECHWR-L) is a resource for technical writing and technical communications professionals of all experience levels and in all industries to share their experiences and acquire information.
For two decades, technical communicators have turned to TechWhirl to ask and answer questions about the always-changing world of technical communications, such as tools, skills, career paths, methodologies, and emerging industries. The TechWhirl Archives and magazine, created for, by and about technical writers, offer a wealth of knowledge to everyone with an interest in any aspect of technical communications.
Subject:Humor: Whither the 95 in WIndows 95? From:Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA> Date:Fri, 7 Apr 1995 09:19:12 LCL
In case you haven't already heard these, the top 10 reasons for the
jump from Windows 3.1 to Win95 rather than Win 4.0 (with apologies to
Letterman and a broad wink to indicate no malice):
1. The version number was calculated using a Pentium.
2. The software should be 95% debugged when released.
3. 95% of the users will have to upgrade their systems to use it
4. 95% of the interface was stolen from Apple (the remaining 5% is
homegrown and doesn't work)
5. 95 software engineers were burned out during the rewriting of the
6. Microsoft customers have been burned so often by version "X.0" of
MS products that marketing suggested avoiding 4.0
7. "Windows 4.0" reminded everyone too much about "DOS 4.0", about
which the less said, the better.
8. The "95" refers to the expected stock price for Microsoft after the
9. The upgrade price will be $95.
10. Microsoft expects a 95% market share for its GUI by the year 2000.