Re. What degrees to choose?

Subject: Re. What degrees to choose?
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 1995 09:39:12 LCL

Despite being a firm believer in the adage "s/he who dies with the
most letters after their name wins", I'm not convinced of the value of
an additional degree for most of us. If I had all the time and money
in the world, I'd never leave the University environment, but reality
being what it is, I find most of my teaching is self-teaching.

Yes, I'm one of _those_ people. I read everything I can get my hands
on, and actually read textbooks occasionally, just for the pleasure of
it. This works well for me. I even teach myself new software by
reading the manual (I don't _just_ play with the menus and toolbars
and hope). For some things, hands-on training is the only way, and I
attend workshops and "we'll make you do the hard work so you know how
it's done" training courses or seminars whenever I can. This fits my
schedule and budget far better than another degree.

Since I haven't answered the main question, I'll add that for me, as
an editor, a general background in the subject I'm editing has been
invaluable. Thus, my forestry degree makes editing forestry
publications painless and efficient. One problem: When I started
University, I didn't know that I wanted to be an editor. If you know,
you can choose your course/degree in advance, but (rhetorical
question) how can you choose your degree if you don't know?

I'd love to supplement my training with a good criticism of my editing
skills by other editors, since this seems more useful to me than just
attending a course in grammar or rhetoric. (Writers have writers'
groups, so shouldn't we have editors' groups too?)

--Geoff Hart geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
#8^{)} <---got these specs from reading too much online info!