Re: Computer: Task vs. Competency

Subject: Re: Computer: Task vs. Competency
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 1995 22:10:34 -0600

On Sat, 8 Apr 1995, Eric Snyder wrote:

> Again, my opinion is that it is the ability to productively do work
> that I think most employers are seeking, not the ability to use reference
> manuals or online help. So, what really is the "root" competency? In the
> case of the mail merge, I don't think it is the ability to use reference
> manuals or online help systems. Rather, would it not relate to getting mail
> to large numbers of people the most effective way. ie. thinking through the
> task, determining some kind of methodology, figuring out the appropriate
> tools and doing it. Not memorizing and repeating a series of key strokes in
> accordance with a manual. I know which type of employee I'd rather have.
> One who can think. Not one who memorized a sequence of key strokes.

> Or do I completely misunderstand competencies....???

OTH, my ability to use reference manuals and online help--and to memorize
a sequence of key strokes frees me to concentrate my ability to think on
more productive tasks. The fact that I have learned one set of
keystrokes does not preclude my being able to master a different set for
similar tasks using other software. But it does mean that I don't have
to keep thinking about the process at the expense of the product. I find
that being competent in the use of the equipment is a real advantage.

RoMay Sitze, rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu
The body of every organization is structured from four kinds of
bones. There are the wishbones, who spend all their time wishing
someone would do the work. Then there are the jawbones, who do
all the talking, but little else. The knucklebones knock every-
thing anybody else tries to do. Fortunately, in every organization
there are also the backbones, who get under the load and do most of
the work.