Re[2]: List Appropriateness--Listowner

Subject: Re[2]: List Appropriateness--Listowner
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 13:04:04 -0500

The enclosed message was personal, but I'm responding
on the list to clear a couple of common misconceptions.

First, I do not moderate the list. This means that the
first time I see all postings is AFTER they are on the
list. It cannot and will not be any other way on this
list.

Only technical communication-related material is
appropriate. Period. No discussion.

That brings us to the second point. There seems to be
the misconception that the list is a democracy or that
some individuals have a "right" to be heard or to
participate, or even (as in the enclosed E-mail
message) to dictate list policy. That is not the case.

This list is, generally, a benevolent autocracy of
sorts. I believe that the technical/legal condition is
that the list is "not a public forum". That means that
I can and will control the postings through whatever
means necessary. Up to this point is has been through
gentle pressure (with one exception). Using only gentle
pressure will continue if possible.

As always, comment to me off list, don't bother with
flames.

Eric
ejray -at- okway -dot- okstate -dot- edu

Subject: Re: List Appropriateness
Date: 4/12/95 11:44 AM

The listowner should keep off inappropriate posts. However, if something is
posted it should be considered appropriate and can be responded to. For the
listowner to retroactively say something that has been posted is an
inappropriate posting is way after the fact. If it appears on the list it is
fair game. If it is inappropriate it shouldn't appear on the post.