Re: Reading the Manuals

Subject: Re: Reading the Manuals
From: "PICKETT-HARNER, Molly" <MOP1 -at- NIORDS1 -dot- EM -dot- CDC -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 1995 10:20:00 EST

Robert:
Please re-read my post: you'll see that I said I "OF COURSE, read/study"
FrameMaker, etc.,

I certainly [repeatedly!] read & study software manuals & on-line help.
Hardware manuals -- no. I repeat, reading the latter is, for the most
part, not necessary to efficiently, expertly (!) operate a MAC.

Read _Being Digital_ Negroponte (bk is at home so cannot cite pages but
will tomorrow if you wish) says there is no justification for complicated
(unamicable? since we're not to use you-know-what any longer...) hardware
designs (e.g., VCRs, computers, etc.).

Molly Pickett-Harner
mop1 -at- niords1 -dot- em -dot- cdc -dot- gov
harner -at- access -dot- mountain -dot- net
75142 -dot- 3264 -at- compuserve -dot- com

----------
<snip>
[I said]
I have never needed to read any of my MAC manuals
>(FrameMaker, Interleaf, etc., manuals, of course, read/study)

<snip>
[you answered:]
For example, I have yet to find ANYONE besides me who has ever even
noticed Microsoft Word's "Style Sheet" feature.
<snip>

They usually don't pay enough attention to realize that the small
cadre of skilled users can write, format, and illustrate ten pages
to their one (and I do NOT exaggerate), with results that are infinitely
more professional, maintainable, and transportable.
<snip>

But, in any event, I'm always struck by the dissonance of a technical
writer who is proud of not reading manuals.

-- Robert