Re: Third Party Manuals

Subject: Re: Third Party Manuals
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 1995 12:47:25 MST

Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM> wrote the following
(snipped from a longer post about third-party manuals) --

When on an assignment, she'd take the relevant book with
her, so that she'd have a familiar resource available while on
the job. (Employers would sometimes ask why, if she was an
"expert," she had to bring a book. As we all know, different
jobs mean different emphasis on features, so a temp has got to
look things up from time to time.)
===============
It really irks me when people assume because you're an expert on
something that you shouldn't have to look in a book. Most
everyone uses reference books of one kind or another, and I bet
that the best experts probably use their reference books even
more so.

My husband, for example, is a computer technician. He knows more
about PC hardware than just about anybody I know. He has a
clipboard he takes with him on service calls. This clipboard is
*stuffed* with notes, tables, and charts--his "cheat sheets."
Would I think him less of an expert because he had to look up
the specifications of some off-the-wall hard drive? Heck, no.
I'd be amazed that he had the information at hand!

Without knowing it, Rick, your parenthetical matter touched on a
whole other topic. But, alas, probably not one very relevant to
this list, so I'll zip it shut.

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=