Gov't Employees and Rights to Privacy

Subject: Gov't Employees and Rights to Privacy
From: Mark Sanders <MSANDE -at- WPOSMTP -dot- METC -dot- DOE -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 1995 13:16:54 -0400

Sorry if this had been addressed before; I am sure that it
has, but I think this question adds a new twist.

What right(s) to privacy do government workers (who are held
publicly accountable) have concerning their e-mail? Is it the
employee's private mail? Or, since it was obtained using
government property, open to the public? I can see cases
supporting both sides, but am wondering if there is specific
legislation or court rulings on the subject.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance, and if you don't feel that this subject is
related to the list, please write to me directly.

Mark Sanders
MSANDE -at- METC -dot- DOE -dot- GOV
(The question has arisen out of a team debate, but the
implications are *obvious*.)