Re: Query: Users of ForeHelp?

Subject: Re: Query: Users of ForeHelp?
From: Ed Hoornaert <Ed -dot- Hoornaert -at- VENTANA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 1995 09:41:04 -0700

Ron writes:

> I have never had a problem changing jump colors. <snip> The problem
> of colors and video is likely more related to the video for each
machine
> than anything that FH can control.

In case any one else faces the same situation, let me spell out the
problem we had. It was indeed related to what kind of video card the
help was displayed on; but it was controllable by ForeHelp. When the
help file was mostly finished, we changed the jump color, then added a
few more topics. They looked fine in ForeHelp, but when we compiled, the
new topics didn't use the new color on all machines; they used the old
color. We found that if we went into ForeHelp and changed the jump color
again and compiled, the topics appeard in the right color on all
machines.

>I'm not sure I understand how one would expect a program to create a
browse
>sequence automatically, since the author must choose the topics to
include.
>The same goes for jumps; as the author you have to create the jump

In ForeHelp, that's correct. However, the program we used before,
MasterHelp, allowed you to automatically create a Contents page (complete
with jumps to the topics) based on the existing topics; and also to
create a browse sequence based upon certain ways that you organized the
topics. In a large help file this saved a _lot_ of manual labor.

Despite that, I'd have to say that ForeHelp is superior in other ways,
especially the ease of "debugging". I certainly don't want anyone to
think I'm running it down. It isn't perfect. perhaps, but then what is?

Ed -dot- Hoornaert -at- Ventana -dot- com
Disclaimer: Ventana Corporation should not be held responsible for my big
mouth.