Journalism vrs. English

Subject: Journalism vrs. English
From: DFIERRO_at_TECHPUBS%lanierwsm -dot- UUCP -at- MATHCS -dot- EMORY -dot- EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 15:12:30 LCL

Rather than reply to everyone personally, I will post the reply I
crafted for Gina Jerome.

Gina -

Asbestos gear?

"I walk on the wild side. I laugh in the face of flaming e-mails!"

#1 - I love to bait journalists. Personal problem. But they make
such easy targets!

#2 - I took lots of journalism courses and edited both my high school
and college newspapers before going pro (and my colleagues needed lots
of editing, both in school and as pros).

#3 - I didn't mean journalists struggled to write at an 8th grade
level, I meant they struggled to REACH an 8th grade writing level.
(This is more baiting!!! Get it?)

Seriously, I considered Tom Wolfe's VANITIES OF THE BONFIRES one of
the best novels I ever read.

I believe Earnest Hemmingway would have become the best writer who
ever lived, if he had lived longer.

I am patterning my writing career after Henry James, one of the best
editors, journalists, and novelists to ever "string words together in
a coherent manner."

Two of my goals:

Win a Pulitzer

Win the Nobel Prize for Literature