Re: Shrink-wrap

Subject: Re: Shrink-wrap
From: Rose Wilcox <RWILC -at- FAST -dot- DOT -dot- STATE -dot- AZ -dot- US>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 12:41:00 PDT

Bev quoted Emily:
Emily Skarzenski <71220 -dot- 341 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM> wrote--
Of course, RoboHelp has drawbacks, too. In some ways, it's
quirky and difficult. (The brand-new version [3.0] is still
shrink-wrapped on my desk--haven't had ...[snip]
===================
Then said:
>Shrink-wrap. The way Emily used it is the way, I think, we've
>all come to understand and use the term. Right?

>Well, heads up, folks! It appears to have taken on a whole new
>meaning and I fear that it will spread. Twice now, from
>different people where I work, I've heard "shrink-wrapped" used
>to mean software or projects that have been shelved (canceled).

>Has anyone else heard it used this way?

I've heard a completely different meaning. In a meeting here, it was used
to distinguish applications we buy and supply to our users (MS Mail, MS
Word, etc.) from the applications we develop for our users. In fact, we
considered using "Shrink-wrapped" (okay, the folks in the meeting considered
it, *I* didn't :-)) as the identifier in the Incident database for calls our
Support folks get regarding software we haven't developed.

Rosie Wilcox
rwilc -at- fast -dot- dot -dot- state -dot- az -dot- us
ncrowe -at- primenet -dot- com
rosecrow -at- spring -dot- com
"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing."
- Robert Benchley