Re: QUESTION: Consistent Index Entries

Subject: Re: QUESTION: Consistent Index Entries
From: Kelly Hoffman <kelly -at- NASHUA -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 18:41:26 -0400

Paul MacGyver Carman <paul -dot- carman -at- HARRIS -dot- COM> writes:

> * Generally, in my index I include acronyms with a "see _insert
> acronym meaning here_" and no page number. The corresponding
> entry includes all of the information.
>
> Occasionally, however, the acronym is more important that the
> terms for which it stands.
>
> Would it be acceptable to consistently mix my standards?

Your quandry disappears if you simply redefine your "standard" to be
the following:

Always put the bulk of the indexing information where most
readers are likely to look first.

Then, both of the examples you give (SNMP and View Builder) fit your
standard, so you're not mixing them.

Make sense?

kkh

--
Kelly K. Hoffman Hewlett-Packard, Network Test Division, Nashua, NH
kelly -at- nashua -dot- hp -dot- com "Reading the manual is admitting defeat."