Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 19 Apr 1995 to 20 Apr 1995

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 19 Apr 1995 to 20 Apr 1995
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 1995 17:26:07 PDT

>>I just want to take this moment for a recommendation
>>for folks to add their email addresses to their signatures.

>Yes, please!!! Some of us really have NO WAY of obtaining an email address
>unless it is included in the body of the message. This is a simple courtesy
>that would benefit everyone on the list in the long run

The "Mr. Protocol" column in the April SunExpert mentioned this concept
as an example that separates the Internet Old Guard from the newcomers.
The Old Guard, he claims, would have been embarrassed to admit that their
email software was so fundamentally and completely broken as to lose
the return addresses of message. Even if they were not, other members
of the Old Guard would instantly have flamed anyone with the temerity
to ask that everyone in the universe modify their behavior to make up
for their breathtakingly incompetent mail software.

He goes on to point out that the newcomers are willing to accept things
like broken software (and software for which the source code is
unavailable) without question.

Personally, my feelings are mixed. I put my return address in my
.signature file as a matter of course. On the other hand, I find the
idea that brain-damaged commercial mail software can't handle simple
Internet messages to be offensive -- especially when there's plenty
of high-quality free mail software that can.

I'm curious -- which packages are damaged in this way? Which companies
are dense enough to buy them?

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon * Writer * robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (408) 321-8771
4271 North First Street, #106 * San Jose * California * 95134-1215