myself / reflexive pronouns used by themselves

Subject: myself / reflexive pronouns used by themselves
From: Fran Freiman <ffreiman -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 1995 12:31:49 -0700

Cathy (and others following this thread):

I am copyediting the 4th edition of the book <i>The Encyclopedia of
Occultism and Parapsychology</i> and happened upon an excerpt from
<i>An Historical, Physiological, and Theological Treatise of Spirits,
Apparitions, Witchcrafts, and Other Magical Practices</i> written by
John Beaumont and PUBLISHED in 1705!!

"I had two spirits, who contantly attended me ... and several
spirits would call at my chamber door.... The two spirits that
constantly attended MYSELF appeared both in women's habit...."
[caps added for emphasis].

This little idiosyncrasy (using reflexive pronoun without the main noun
or pronoun) has been around for hundreds of years, apparently. I'm not
going to say that makes it right; just that we aren't likely to get rid
of it. I doubt I'll ever (from here on in???) point it out as an error,
but that's the kind of thing I quietly correct when I find it in text
intended for publication. As long as such pronouns continue to be
regarded as considered nonessential!

Signed, I never post twice anydayever.
Fran.
ffreiman -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com