Re[2]: I'd rather teach an engineer to write than a writer

Subject: Re[2]: I'd rather teach an engineer to write than a writer
From: Karla McMaster <mcmaster%pcmail -dot- cti-pet -dot- com -at- CTI-PET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 1995 09:03:28 EST

This whole debate makes me want to state one of my core beliefs. As I see it,
any one person, given desire and a minimal amount of basic intelligence, can
learn to do any other person's job.

Thinking otherwise is elitist.

If I wanted to be a programmer, I could. If the programmer (or hardware
engineer) wanted to be a writer, he/she could. The only thing that separates us
is desire. I want to write. He or she wants to "engineer." That puts us on
equal footing, doesn't it?

Seems as if the problem comes when we are not paid or otherwise treated
equally. Then it's tough to maintain a feeling of BEING equal. And then it
gives us a little boost to put the other group down...

Karla McMaster, technical writer
CTI PET Systems, Inc., Knoxville, TN
mcmaster -at- cti-pet -dot- com