Re: A Good Word for Word 6

Subject: Re: A Good Word for Word 6
From: John Renish <John -dot- Renish -at- CONNER -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 1995 17:21:49 PDT

You must have *very* simple formatting. We routinely have major problems
with documents less than half that long. Besides frequent crashes, we have
the joy of spooling for over an hour for 12 minutes of printing on an HP
LJIII, errors in finding bookmarks, dead slow performance on a 486-33,
inability to save after one small text change (Word sometimes apparently
makes the computer think the file is infinite in size), out of memory after
one small text change in a header or footer, loss of style functions, and
other bad things. I cannot recommend this product for larger projects,
period. The only really good thing about Word 6.0 under Windows is that it's
faster than Word 6.0 on a Mac. As for usability, our group intends to keep
Word with greatly simplified templates as the standard for casual writers,
but the professionals will be using something more robust.

John -dot- Renish -at- conner -dot- com
My statements are my own and do not represent Conner Peripherals, Inc.
Original Text