Re: step formating

Subject: Re: step formating
From: DIGEST Marlene Reynolds <reynoldm -at- AGCS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 07:31:50 -0700

Kelly Kremin asked:

So, it's a one line paragraph usually flanked by longer paragraphs.
The usual dingbat that visually clues you a procedure follows is
missing. The step gets lost.

What's the happy medium here? Is a one step procedure "legal"? I don't
want to use a bullet.

Kelly,

In my experience as a writer and editor of training manulas and user's guides, I
have *never* seen steps in only paragraph form; they are *always* numbered. In
that case, a
stand-alone step without an introductory statement is perfectly acceptable. I
don't believe in fluffing up writing to satisfy conventions-- whatever makes it
clearest to the reader.

Marlene Reynolds, Technical Writer
(Contractor @ AGCS, Phoenix, Arizona)

*** My opinions are my own; not those of AGCS ***