Re: Pronunciation/spelling of pippik/pupick

Subject: Re: Pronunciation/spelling of pippik/pupick
From: Wm Blank <wmblank -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 12:10:49 -0700

You wrote:

>I think the word is closer to pupick (spelling may be off, but the "u"
sound is
>more accurate), which is a Yiddish word for belly button, I think!

Pippik and puppik are both acceptable pronunciations, It depends on
what part of "Yiddia" you come from. Local pronunciations vary
considerably. E.g. noodlepudding (a favorite Jewish dish) can be either
"kugel" or "kiggel." My grandmother (who was born in Chernobyl which
was a great center of Jewish spirituality in the 19th century) always
said "kiggel;" anyone who insists on "kugel" (unfortunately, the
majority) is DEAD WRONG!!!!!

Pipick, pippick, pipik, pupick, puppick, pupik are equally acceptable
spellings, seeing as how there is no universally accepted
transliteration system between Yiddish and English.

--Rabbi William Blank, Hebrew Union College-Jewish Insitute of
Religion, '74
Technical Writer