Re: off topic... what's the meaning of this expression?

Subject: Re: off topic... what's the meaning of this expression?
From: Sue Heim <SUE -at- RIS -dot- RISINC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 13:14:38 PST

Kelly Kremin wanted to know...

> the vapors

> What does it mean? My boss insists it means a swooning spell. I was
> certain I'd learned that the vapors was flatulence.

Hahahah!! Flatulence?!!? Hahaha! Oh my! ROTFL!! I guess that would be
a more current definition, but my understanding is that, in Victorian
times especially, women would get the vapors (sometimes as a direct
result of having laced up their corsets too tightly). Seriously, I
always thought it meant a fainting spell, but my dictionary referred
to a form of hypochondria.

My apologies for laughing, but darn! I sure did need that chuckle!!

...sue
Sue Heim
Research Information Systems
Email: Sue -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com