JOB POSTING: Summer Tech Writing Co-op/Intern Job near Boston

Subject: JOB POSTING: Summer Tech Writing Co-op/Intern Job near Boston
From: Nancy Paisner <nancy -at- HI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 11:12:34 EDT

This is to announce 2 short-term co-op/intern positions at Hitachi.

Company
-------
Hitachi Computer Products (America), Inc.
Open Systems Development
1601 Trapelo Road
Waltham, MA 02154

[This are Hitachi's Open Systems group, working on porting and
implementation of standards-based software for enterprise systems. The
software we work on includes an OSF/1 based-operating system,
hierarchical storage management software, enhanced UNIX-compatible
file system, and the OSF Distributed Computing Environment (DCE).]

[For those not familiar with the Boston area, Waltham is around 10-12
miles as the crow flies from downtown Boston, about a 30-minute drive.]

Period of Employment
--------------------
3 months each (a single 6-month term might be a possibility)
starting asap

Job Title
---------
Documentation Co-op/Interns (Temporary)

Organization
------------
Engineering Dept., Documentation Group

Reports to
----------
Nancy Paisner, Documentation Manager

Job Description
---------------

There are two different kinds of tasks that have to be done. It's
expected that both interns will get a chance to do each type of task.

The first task is the conversion of troff documents to Framemaker
format. This work requires experience with both troff formats amd
FrameMaker, especially FrameMaker. This work will require running a
set of troff-to-Frame filter program and checking the output for
fidelity to the original material. It will involve conversion or
re-creation of figures and tables as well as text. Some editing and
grammatical cleanup are also likely to be needed. The material is
highly technical and describes a large-scale distributed computing
environment.

The second task is editing/upgrading troff reference ('man') pages for
the same distributed computing environment. The intern will review the
man pages for conformance to Hitachi style guidelines and correct any
grammatical or formatting errors in the source.

Knowledge/Skills Required:
--------------------------

1. Knowledge of technical writing concepts and practices, and some
practical technical writing experience.

2. Experience using the UNIX operating system, in particular
nroff/troff formatting packages.

3. Experience with Framemaker publishing software.

Contact:
--------
Nancy Paisner
nancy -at- hi -dot- com