Re: OCR Software?

Subject: Re: OCR Software?
From: John San Filippo <johnsf -at- CTS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 18:05:00 -0700

> My team will soon be faced with the not-so-thrilling task of "recovering"
> old manuals -- scanning them and running them through OCR, thereby having
> the ability to edit them. They're generally long documents (100-200 pages)
> and I would like to make the task as easy as possible (I realize "easy" is
> a relative term in this case). So, your input and experiences with the
> latest (and greatest) OCR software will be appreciated.

OmniPage pro is great, but expensive. Probably overkill if the documents
are not heavily formatted. I'd say the most important component of your
system would be a sheet feeder for your scanner so you can automate a
little.

John San Filippo

Internet: johnsf -at- cts -dot- com
CompuServe: 75237,3605
AOL/eWorld: JohnSanF

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money."
- Samuel Johnson, ibid., April 5, 1776