Re: Writing simple procedures

Subject: Re: Writing simple procedures
From: Sue Ellen Adkins <sea -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 10:18:59 -0700

--part_ABCE5A930002A41400000002

> Sue Gallagher wrote:=20
> > I think that part of the problem you're having with the sentence is=20
> > that it combines two distinct steps (selecting and opening). If this=20
> > is a part of procedural text (steps), you may want to break it out.=20
> =20
> I have a question about this -- at what point is something so obvious=20
> that you don't want to break it out into two steps?=20
> For example:=20
> =20
> 1. Move the cursor to the XXX toolbox.=20
> 2. Click on the YYY icon.=20
> ...=20
> =20
> or=20
> =20
> 1. Click on the YYY icon in the XXX toolbox.=20
> ...=20
> =20
> Is the first form too obvious? It seems so to me, but then again, you=20
> want to write these kinds of things to the lowest common=20
> denominator, right?=20
> =20
> I guess it's a matter of taste, but if anybody has opinions one way or=20
> the other, I'd love to hear them.=20
> =20
> --=20
> Glenda Jeffrey Email: jeffrey@
> hks.com Hibbitt, Karlsson & Sorensen, Inc =20
> Phone: 401-727-4200 1080 Main St. =20
> Fax: 401-727-4208 Pawtucket, RI 02860=20
=20

Speaking as a reader, I prefer the second example. Selectingan item in =
a menu bar is a one step procedure. Having the item and menu names in =
bold also helps me.

--part_ABCE5A930002A41400000002

Sue Ellen Adkins sea -at- netcom -dot- com
Technical Writing Services

--part_ABCE5A930002A41400000002--