Customized documentation using Word, Windows HELP?

Subject: Customized documentation using Word, Windows HELP?
From: Steven Jong <JONG -at- CREDTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 15:18:05 -0400

My company sells customized software programs to the cellular phone industry.
In our case "customization" means that each different client sees different
data-entry fields, different required fields, different field labels, or
perhaps different functions. Though the bulk of the screens are the same,
there are differences throughout.

We are reaching the point where we wish to be systematic about providing
customized documentation as well. The documents are typically very short
(10-30 pages), and written in Micosoft Word or Microsoft PowerPoint; we also
have some Windows HELP files.

Today I chaired a meeting to discuss how we should do customization, and
the question came up: "What are other companies doing?" So I thought I'd
ask 8^)