Re: Comma, Comma, Comma (Should we or Shouldn't we)

Subject: Re: Comma, Comma, Comma (Should we or Shouldn't we)
From: corbett josephine m <z924832 -at- CORN -dot- CSO -dot- NIU -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 18:24:25 -0500

On Tue, 2 May 1995, charles desaro wrote:

> Here's another one for the English Experts:

> Which sentence is correct, relative to the comma:

> The Tech Writer was bright, articulate, knowledgeable, and computer literate.
> or
> The Tech Writer was bright, articulate, knowledgeable and computer literate.

> I'll post the results.

> Charles De Saro

Charles,

Both are correct; or rather, neither are incorrect! The comma before the
penultimate and last items in a list is optional in American
grammar. In Britain, the comma is ommitted.

josie

josie corbett Eeeyore was saying to himself,
z924832 -at- corn -dot- cso -dot- niu -dot- edu "This writing business. Pencils
and what-not. Over-rated if you
ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it."