Work for hire

Subject: Work for hire
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 8 May 1995 00:11:59 -0700

>We have people from our ad agency, our PR agency, and our photo
>studio do work for which we acquired all rights. Are all these
>people OUR employees now?

DISCLAIMER: You'd really be better off asking someone who knows. This is
just my understanding, based on things I've picked up haphazardly along the way.

If you payed them for creating the work, with the understanding up front
that you owned the copyright of the resulting product, I believe they were
your employees (for California law purposes). That's why many such
arrangements include a separate sale of the copyright for a small additional
amount. ...RM

Dr. Richard Mateosian Freelance Technical Writer srm -at- c2 -dot- org
Review Editor, IEEE Micro Vice President, STC Berkeley Chapter