Re[2]: Comma, Comma, Comma (Should we or Shouldn't we)

Subject: Re[2]: Comma, Comma, Comma (Should we or Shouldn't we)
From: Douglas Thayer <douglas_thayer -at- SMTPLINK -dot- SYSCOM -dot- COM -dot- TW>
Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 15:38:18 EST

While we should all strive to use correct grammar, I don't believe
this should be a requirement for expressing one's opinion. The
Copyediting list's "Guidelines for Posting Messages" offers some sound
and courteous advice:

"Do not point out grammar mistakes in people's messages, unless
explicitly requested to do so."

By the way, shouldn't you have said "grammatical errors" instead of
"grammar errors?" If I am wrong, please feel free to correct me.

Douglas Thayer
<douglas_thayer -at- smtplink -dot- syscom -dot- com -dot- tw
Taipei, Taiwan, ROC

Subject: Re: Comma, Comma, Comma (Should we or Shouldn't we)
Author: @TWNMOE10.Edu.TW:TECHWR-L -at- OSUVM1 -dot- BITNET at smtplink-syscom
Date: 5/9/95 6:28 AM

Josie - there are at least two major grammar errors in your reply. I'd do
some brushing up before I offer opinions in the future. If you can't find
the errors, LMK.
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Date: Fri, May 5, 1995 6:24PM

Charles,

Both are correct; or rather, neither are incorrect! The comma before the
penultimate and last items in a list is optional in American
grammar. In Britain, the comma is ommitted.

josie

josie corbett Eeeyore was saying to himself,
z924832 -at- corn -dot- cso -dot- niu -dot- edu "This writing business. Pencils
and what-not. Over-rated if you
ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in
it."