Re: Technic writers shall write good,

Subject: Re: Technic writers shall write good,
From: James Mathewson <math0038 -at- GOLD -dot- TC -dot- UMN -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 10:54:43 -0500

On Tue, 9 May 1995, Rick Klopp wrote:

> > While we should all strive to use correct grammar, I don't believe
> > this should be a requirement for expressing one's opinion.

> Kind, gentle reaction: Grammatical errors in what you write provide
> opportunities for your readers to reject your argument because its
> expression lacks precision. Like, maybe your thinking is also
> flawed?

> Blunt reaction: This is bullshit. Any technical writer who finds
> truth in the statement should start looking for another line of work.
> Justifying trash in writing is professionally immoral.

> Rick Klopp

My reaction: computer-mediated communication (CMC) differs from professinal
writing in many respects. One such respect is formality. CMC is much
more coloquial than published documents. People react to issues near and
dear to their hearts as though they are verbally engaged with their
interlocutors. In this context, not bothering to take the time to spell
check or make sure one's grammar follows strict style guides is OK.

Spend a little time lurking on other lists and you'll see what I mean.
The fact that the participants in this list tend to send error-free
e-mail is a feature of its demographics.

Lighten up and have fun with the less rigid aspects of the English language.
God knows we can't in our professional lives.

james {:>l3