Re. Paid/payed

Subject: Re. Paid/payed
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 11:28:38 LCL

Rick Lanser asked about the decline of the use of "paid" and its
replacement by "payed". Neither is wrong in usage, although the "aid"
form is certainly more grammatically correct. I came across a similar
editing problem involving "laid" and "layed", and we came up with the
following rule of thumb:

laid = set down/lay down on top of (yes, _that_ too... <grin>)
layed = wrote a song (a lay), defrocked a priest/minister (made him a
member of the laity), a heavy metal referred to in dialect ("filled
him full of layed")
leyed = greeted a newcomer to Hawaii

--Geoff Hart #8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: These comments are my own and don't represent the opinions
of the Forest Engineering Research Institute of Canada.