Re: What's the perfect test?

Subject: Re: What's the perfect test?
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 09:21:18 EDT

Emily asked:

>Has anyone ever taken a "good" test during an interview?

Several years ago, I took a writing test during an interview at General
Dynamics Electric Boat. I thought it was a good test. I don't recall all
the exact details, but two portions stand out:

1) I was given a blueprint of a hardware assembly (a pump, as I recall), and
told to write a disassembly procedure.
2) I was given a list of terms, and asked to write definitions for any that
I knew. The terms were all specific to submarines, the Navy, and military
command structure. ("Nuclear turbuelectric drive" is one term I recall.)

There was a reasonable time limit for this test. It seemed to me that every-
thing on the test was directly applicable to the job at hand. Although my
knowledge of nuclear subs wasn't strong, I was able to do well on the
blueprint/procedure portion of the test.

There's a list participant named Travis who has been working for Electric
Boat for a number of years, he could probably tell us if the test is still
used or provide further details on it.

(BTW, I passed, I got a job offer, but I declined it.)

Rick Lippincott
Eaton Semiconductor
Beverly, MA
rlippinc -at- bev -dot- etn -dot- com